Brisbane’s best builders and tradies in the spotlight
Published: 6 July 2012
Winners of the Master Builders Brisbane 2012 Housing & Construction Awards were announced tonight at a gala presentation at the Sofitel Hotel.
The most prestigious awards program on the building industry calendar, the Master Builders Housing & Construction Awards recognise builders and trade contractors at the forefront of building innovation and quality craftsmanship, and promote and showcase excellence in the housing and construction industry.
Master Builders Director of Construction Policy, John Crittall, said winning an award is a great way for builders to gain public and industry recognition, particularly in these strained economic times.
“The overall success of the program can be attributed to the expansive range of award categories that recognise excellent workmanship from apprentices to trade contractors and small family businesses to the biggest names in the industry,” Mr Crittall said.
“The calibre of entrants in this year’s awards was outstanding and resulted in only the best of the best being chosen.”
Master Builders Director of Housing Policy, Paul Bidwell, said the enormous effort from members to produce a quality project was certainly evident in the winning projects.
“This year we were excited to announce two new categories – Best Bathroom and Best Kitchen. In the past, these categories were awarded by our judges and were always part of a new home or large renovation project,” said Mr Bidwell.
“We’ve recognised that times have changed, with many homeowners choosing to improve rather than build a new home, which means that many of our members now exclusively perform renovation work. These two popular categories mean the winning builders and trade contractors who work in this firmly established sector of our industry get the recognition they deserve.”
Also a winner of the Retail Facilities over $20 million category, the Wintergarden Redevelopment has reinvigorated the Brisbane CBD shopping experience.
Strategically designed for easy access from Elizabeth Street, Edward Street and the Queen Street Mall, the main feature mall cuts a void through the building, exposing the retail levels and offering the customer a point of reference while exploring the use of natural light.
The introduction of gently graded walkways and flagship stores has replaced the awkward entry stairs of old. An iconic and highly specialised façade design is the most recognisable aspect of the project, creating the ‘garden’ of the Wintergarden with a double layer cut metal façade screen suspended in front of the building’s façades.
Brookfield Multiplex worked through the challenging constraint of conducting major structural demolition in conjunction with existing tenants who continued to trade, while also overcoming restricted vehicle movements due to the location of the project.
This architecturally designed home was created with beach living in mind and also won the Individual Home $2 million ‒ $3 million category. Situated at Point Lookout on Stradbroke Island, the home features dual living that takes advantage of ocean views, sea breezes and a northern aspect.
The main building consists of four bedrooms, two bathrooms, a heated magnesium pool and an expansive kitchen and BBQ area that captures the landscaped gardens and glimpses of the ocean. The guest quarters boast uninterrupted views as well as a fifth bedroom, an additional bathroom and kitchenette.
The most striking feature of this magnificent home is the external finish of copper and western red cedar timber cladding. Internally, finishes include New Guinea Rosewood timber windows and doors.
Personifying quality and value for money, the ‘Cleo’ is a formal family home with a focus on entertaining. The home also won the Display Home $376,000 ‒ $475,000 category.
This double-storey home boasts four generous bedrooms, two bathrooms, three living areas and an open study. The unique location of the kitchen represents the family unit, with an island bench where the family can congregate, while the pergola adds an element of indoor-outdoor living within the one footprint.
Featuring high design finishes and characteristics, the Cleo has set a new standard in this price bracket.
Other Brisbane winners included:
- Rising Star Award – Gary Latimer
- Women in Building Award – Bridget Taylor
- Apprentice of the Year – Steve Truss
- Apprentice Employer of the Year – FK Gardner & Sons Pty Ltd
- Best Bathroom – Carrigan Coastal Constructions Pty Ltd t/a Saltwater Constructions
- Best Kitchen – Kelrow Constructions Pty Ltd
- Trade Contractor ‒ Carpentry, Joinery, Shopfitting & Cabinet Making – R & L Gread Builders Pty Ltd – Folland Residence
- Trade Contractor ‒ Swimming Pool, Outdoor Living & Landscaping – Malcolm Gardner – Pool House
- Trade Contractor ‒ Other – Blue Star Plastering Pty Ltd – Our Lady of Sacred Heart Catholic School
- Health & Education Facilities up to $5 million – T.P. Turner Pty Ltd – Ipswich Special School Pool
- Health & Education Facilities $5 million ‒ $20 million – McNab Constructions Australia Pty Ltd – Marist College Science Centre
- Health & Education Facilities over $20 million – Broad Construction Services (Qld) Pty Ltd – Murrumba Downs Secondary School
- Sporting & Community Service Facilities up to $5 million – Main Constructions (Building) Pty Ltd – Meakin Park Rugby Union Facility
- Sporting & Community Service Facilities $5 million ‒ $20 million – FK Gardner & Sons Pty Ltd – RSPCA Headquarters
- Lifestyle Housing for Seniors – Palmlake Works Pty Ltd – Palm Lake Resort Eagleby Heights
- Refurbishment/Renovation up to $5 million – Tomkins Commercial & Industrial Builders Pty Ltd – Sandgate Town Hall Restoration (Heritage)
- Refurbishment/Renovation over $5 million – Built Qld Pty Ltd – News Queensland Refurbishment
- Retail Facilities up to $20 million – Better Build Constructions Pty Ltd – Commonwealth Bank – Flagship Branch Refurbishment
- Retail Facilities over $20 million – Brookfield Multiplex Constructions Pty Ltd – Wintergarden Redevelopment
- Industrial Building up to $5 million – GD Building Solutions Pty Ltd – Warehouse & Ancillary Offices – Richlands
- Industrial Building over $5 million – F D C Construction & Fitout (Qld) Pty Limited – AS Group Industrial Facility
- Commercial Building (office accommodation) up to $5 million – Kane Constructions Pty Ltd – The Green Fox – Kane Head Office
- Commercial Building (office accommodation) over $5 million – FK Gardner & Sons Pty Ltd – Airport Link Operations Centre
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storey) up to $20 million – FK Gardner & Sons Pty Ltd – Elliot Street Apartments
- Residential Building (high-rise over 3 storey) over $20 million – Pradella Constructions Pty Ltd – Waters Edge “Drift”
- Innovation in Workplace Health & Safety (Commercial) – Mirvac Constructions (Qld) Pty Ltd –
- Innovation in Environmental Management – Brookfield Multiplex Constructions Pty Ltd – Portside Wharf, Building 4
- Excellence in Sustainable Building – Wiley & Co Pty Ltd – Fresh Centre, Brisbane Markets
- Project Management of the BER Program – John Holland Pty Ltd – Building the Education Revolution
- Display Home up to $275,000 – Ownit Homes Pty Ltd – Maddalena
- Display Home $276,000 ‒ $375,000 – Simonds Queensland Constructions Pty Ltd – Sierra
- Display Home $376,000 ‒ $475,000 – Simonds Queensland Constructions Pty Ltd – Cleo
- Display Home $476,000 ‒ $625,000 – The Baxter Group (Qld) Pty Ltd
- Individual Home up to $275,000 – PJ Burns Builder Pty Ltd – The Lake McKenzie 270 Modified
- Individual Home $276,000 ‒ $375,000 – Matrix Projects (Qld) Pty Ltd – Defence Housing Australia
- Individual Home $376,000 ‒ $475,000 – Kelrow Constructions Pty Ltd – The Woodbridge
- Individual Home $476,000 ‒ $625,000 – McLachlan Special Projects Pty Ltd
- Individual Home $626,000 ‒ $775,000 – GW Enterprises t/a GW Homes
- Individual Home $776,000 ‒ $1 million – Gala Homes Pty Ltd – Ruffin Residence
- Individual Home $1 million ‒ $2 million – MCD Construction (Qld) Pty Ltd – Satou House
- Individual Home $2 million ‒ $3 million – Vantage Holdings Australia Pty Ltd – Stradbroke House
- Individual Home over $3 million – Carrigan Coastal Constructions Pty Ltd t/a Saltwater Constructions
- Best Heritage Style Home – Traditional Queenslanders (SEQ) Pty Ltd
- Housing for Sloping Sites over $425,000 – Symphony Homes Pty Ltd – Bailey Avenue
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project up to $275,000 – Knowlman McDonald McMillan
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project $276,000 ‒ $575,000 – ESP Developments (Aust) Pty Ltd
- Home Renovation/Remodelling Project over $576,000 – MCD Construction (Qld) Pty Ltd
- Low-Rise Multi-Residential Housing (duplexes) – Ausbuild Pty Ltd – Avenues & Urbanes
- Low-Rise Multi-Residential Housing (townhouses) – Tailored Projects Pty Ltd – Redcare Street Townhouses
- Medium-Rise Multi-Residential Housing (units/3 storey) – L J Ponsford Pty Ltd t/a Ponsford Builders – Aqua'ta
- Excellence in Sustainable Living – Lennard E Sheppard t/a Sheppard Homes Pty Ltd – The Marnie
View the full Brisbane winner’s list and photo gallery.
Julie Russell, Manager – Corporate Affairs via email or phone (07) 3225 6436 or 0414 083 191.